At least Russell Wilson is able to laugh about Super Bowl XLIX INT

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
U.S. Senator Russell Wilson delivered a great commencement speech at the University of Wisconsin on Saturday.
Ah, Wilson isn't in politics yet, but when you listen to the speech you can envision him doing something similar on the campaign trail shortly after he's done playing quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks.
Wilson, who spent one season playing for Wisconsin and is the greatest quarterback in the school's history, seemed really comfortable talking to the latest Wisconsin graduates, talking about Madison things like having fishbowls at Wando's or waiting for the "Jump Around" as he stood in Camp Randall Stadium.
And in a moment that's sure to ruin a random Saturday in May for Seahawks fans, he joked about the painful Malcolm Butler interception that ended the Seahawks' loss in Super Bowl XLIX.
"Of course I'm also here to share some things I've learned," Wilson said. "Things like, if you're dating a woman that's way out of your league, ask her to marry you. If you can throw a football 80 yards, for some reason, people think that's pretty cool. And if you're playing the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl and you've got 26 seconds left and you're down by 4 and it's second-and-goal on their 1-yard line, try not to throw an interception."
Wilson paused to let the graduates laugh.
"That's purely, purely hypothetical though, of course," Wilson said.
Here's the full speech (the joke about the interception at the Patriots starts at 1:27):

Wilson mixed typical inspirational messages for graduates with humor and energy. Wilson shouted out some of the more interesting, inspirational stories among the graduates, and talked about battling through adversity in life.
"Here's what I realized: In a few hours, all of us will leave Camp Randall with the exact same mission, to make the most of whatever talents we were born with, whatever gifts God has given us," Wilson said. "If you're earning a degree from UW-Madison, the question isn't whether you have something to offer to the world - you definitely have something to offer to the world - the question is how, and whether you'll do it."
It was a pretty good speech (trust me, more memorable than the one for the graduates at Kohl Center in December of 1999) and likely the best commencement address any current NFL quarterback could deliver.* Who could do better?
"Here's my first charge to the graduates: When life tells you no, ask yourself honestly, what am I capable of?" Wilson said. "Once you know the answer, don't be afraid to let everyone else know it too."
Save that, Russell. It will sound pretty good on the campaign trail someday too.
- - - - - - -
Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @YahooSchwab

Back