Are there any Tours similar to Birthright for hebrew christians?

Kristina

Jun 24, 2008
I wanted to go to Israel to discover my jewish roots. When I signed up for birthright israel, their first questionnaire only asked if I'm jewish. I said yes. Few days later, I got the secondary application with the waiver attached. In the waiver, it said that anyone who shares beliefs with messianic jews or hebrew christians or anyone practicing any other religions beside Judaism are not allowed. I was disappointed because I wanted to go on birthright trip with my cousins. I even told them that I'm willing to pay for my trip if they'll allow me to go on this trip.

Thus I was wondering if you know any other tours that are similar to birthright that my cousins and I can be allowed to go. Help!

What's a "hebrew Christian"?

Christians are not Jewish.

Hebrew is a language.

If you are a member of one of these evangelical, proselytizing religions, you aren't Jewish. Simple as that.

That makes you ineligible for a program that was designed to give JEWISH people a taste of their roots. If you read the mission statement of the organization, I'm sure you'll understand why they don't want someone on the tour who is likely to try to convert the other people on it FROM the beliefs that they are trying to strengthen.

Israel's anti-missionary law, conspicuously passed during Christmas week on December 27, 1977, makes it a crime punishable by up to 5 years in prison to attempt to convert an Israeli to Christianity by use of any material inducement (Law #5738-1977). If a Christian gives even a Gospel leaflet to an Israeli, he violates this law. Also, if the Israeli converts to Christianity after receiving the leaflet, he could face 3 years in prison.

To my knowledge, there isn't. There might be trips sponsored by the Messianic Jewish organization or whatever, but they aren't likely to have the same support as Birthright.

Birthright is made for Jewish youth. As you are probably well aware, that definition is kinda/sorta hard to define. As the movement is working on religious grounds, they tend to stick with that, and since the donors are paying for Jewish youth, that's who they tend to allow.

Normally, it wouldn't be such a big deal if Birthright wasn't so immensely popular.

One thing you could argue is that you are ethnically Jewish. They do allow that framework. But this might involve keeping your Christianity on the down low, since its a trip for, well, Jews.

In the Messianic sense, the issue is complicated. Most Jews feel that they were persecuted in part because they didn't worship Jesus. While there are many other parameters, that's one that historically has been the defining point. So, many Jews who donate do not approve of people they just don't see as Jewish. It has nothing to do with hating them; rather, they are paying for their own religion (not necessary sect), and thus they tend to keep Messianics out. I do agree it's somewhat unfair, but I do classify Messianic Jews as Christians. There is nothing wrong with that, of course, it's just by my definitions.

Paying for it isn't the issue. I know it might seem unfair, but that's the truth - they simply don't have enough room for Christians on a Jewish trip. So, if I were you, I'd tell them that you aren't exactly "Jewish" religiously, but ethnically, and see if that works. They argued other religions - specifically, a loophole that lets other "ethnics" like atheists and agnostics come in. Or, L-I-E. Theologically speaking, not the best idea, but you could get away with it if you have Jewish relatives.

I can understand your disappointment. I loved Birthright myself, but I have to make the comparison of taking Jews on a Catholic trip to the Vatican - not necessarily something allowed, I would think, if sponsored for free. Part of it is that they want everyone to experience the Jewish connection, which is what you want to do, but through the religion, which is something you don't have.

The only solution I could possibly offer is that they go back to Israel with you. I'm sorry, I know that it isn't the answer you are looking for, and I hope that you don't take it with a bad attitude.

Back