Are Christians free from the law and under a new covenant?

AisforAtheist

Sep 10, 2010
According to many Christians, the "fulfillment passages of Matthew 5:17-20 frees them from the law and puts them under a "new covenant"

But what Jesus is really saying is this: Jesus tells them they MUST follow ALL the laws of Yahweh and the prophets...even the LEAST of them if they wish to go to heaven.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:17-20

When he spoke to the "multitudes"...they were from various places:

"Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people. 24News about him spread all over Syria, and people brought to him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed, and he healed them. 25Large crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis,f Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him." Matt 4:23-25

Jesus makes reference to those that do not follow the law as being "called least in the kingdom of heaven". Jesus is not just speaking to the Jews, but to everyone. When this is pointed out, many Christians claim that no,no, no... Jesus is speaking just to the Jews!! However, then these same Christians exclaim that these same fulfillment passages frees Christians from the law and that they are under a new covenant! But if Jesus was only speaking to the Jews, then the fulfillment passages would not apply to Christians, and would not relieve them from the law!

The fulfillment passages in neither case relieves ANYONE from the law, as Jesus said. I have come to fulfill the law, NOT TO ABOLISH THE LAW! According to Jesus, "Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven."

There is no "new covenant" The fulfillment passages in no way shape or form makes reference to being under a new covenant.--this is a misinterpretation.

P1. If Jesus said "ANYONE who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven," then Christians are supposed to follow all the laws and the prophets.

P2. Jesus said in the fulfillment passages that "ANYONE who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven."

.:. Christians are supposed to follow all the laws and the prophets.

Jesus goes on to say that if you are not righteous, meaning if you do not keep the law, then you will not even enter the kingdom of heaven. In other words, Jesus implies that if you just pay lip service to the law, and do not follow the law, then you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Imrod--Tell that to Jesus
bluefoot--If the law states that you must stone a woman for committing adultery, then the "spirit" of this law is if a woman commits adultery, stone her to death! Ahhh ...Jesus contradicts himself by NOT stoning the woman to death, AND he breaks the law as well. That is to say, either Jesus contradicts himself, or the writers of the bible are inconsistent.
Journey--that is not my spin---it is my interpretation of what Jesus says. If you can offer a more consistent and reliable interpretation, put it up, and let us compare the interpretations to see which one holds the most weight. That is, which one is the BEST explanation.
I LOVE THE BOOK OF HEBREWS!!! ACCORDING TO HEBREWS IT IS CONSISTENT WITH MY INTERPRETATION, AND IN FACT SHOWS MY INTERPRETATION TO BE THE BEST INTERPRETATION!! THANK YOU!!

Because if you willfully sin, after accepting the ONE TIME sacrifice of Jesus....you go to the pit of fire. No, it is not talking about Apostates or unbelievers....it is speaking of those who have accepted Jesus.

"If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. " Hebrews 10-26-27

Back