Any quick tips to alleviateing this injury in Karate? Best Answer.?

AdamFalcon

Apr 10, 2009
Ok, so I do Shotokan Karate. Anywho... I was sparring this morning with a friend of mine who does Boka Tau (I have no idea how its spelled). I threw a roundhouse kick at his ribs and .....as is his styles way, he blocked it with his knee and it caught the muscle on the side of my...foreleg?....side of the leg right beside the shin. Anyway. It hurts pretty bad, especially when putting weight on it. And it is swollen all over the fore leg, most notably at point of impact. Kind of annoying...he's a black belt in TKD as well and that meshes with Karate really well, but this new style he's been dabbling in is what he wants to use when we spar. Well, blocking with your knee is great...but painful to the blocker, and because they know it is, they wears full length shin gaurds....I don't have any because my style doesn't use knees to block, it probably wouldn't have hurt him if it had been reversed because he was wearing that gaurd.

It feels like the muscle was damaged because it hurts to move my foot, but it hurts up on that muscle that he hit me in.

Anybody got a quick and effective way of easing the pain and/or returning my usefullness of the leg?

Wouldn't be a big deal...but the ISKF Nationals is this coming Saturday! Yeah....I'm an idiot for taking the chance of hurting myself this close to it.

Back