A Question Regarding My Sense of Humor?

sammi

May 14, 2008
Normally, I feel fine with the things I find funny (usually unconventional things), but lately, I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with my sense of humor and people think I'm a weirdo or something. I do have Asperger's, but people tell me (regardless of my Asperger's) that my sense of humor is unconventional, eccentric, and void of reason.

There are things I find funny that others do, but a lot of what I find funny includes: random words like (midget or sinkhole), phrases strung together (esp. ones that I put together, like 'tuneballoon' or 'three midget deities.'), and certain sounds. I listen to Pendulum's song "Mutiny" a lot, and every time I listen to it, I imagine a guy in a jungle dancing really weird, and the beginning half of the song along with the jungle guy association really makes me laugh.

I've annoyed my sister and mom a lot with my unconventional humor (and have possibly lost some friends)--for instance, my mom came into my room to give me a bowl of spaghetti, and I was busy typing random phrases into Text-to-Speech (a virtual program that understands phrases and translates them into a human voice), and mom heard the result and seemed a little annoyed by it (esp. because I gave the virtual person an alien voice). I've also annoyed some of my family members, because I come up with endless (and random) sayings like "time rode a teapot with miniature fish holes and threw a bluebird at the sun" and laugh for ten minutes at them.

When I was middle / high school (especially tenth grade----I graduated), I lost my point in class (my school had point systems - losing your point meant you did something bad) often times (esp. off my medication), because I would rhyme -ious words and say strange things. A specific time I lost my point in class was when somebody said the wrong word while reading, and I started laughing out loud, because I made a weird association with what they said. (I wasn't making fun of them, though my teacher thought the exact opposite) Also, somebody had a smiley face drawing on the board, and I couldn't help but laugh at it--so I lost my point for that.

Does anybody understand my sense of humor? And if they do, how can I tone it down a bit so I don't come off as a weirdo and make other people think I'm from another planet or something? I mean, even one of my teachers said that in order to keep friends, I can't display an unconventional sense of humor--at least not excessively. Besides Asperger's, I also have ADHD (the two seem to go together), so most of the time I did those things at school, I was off my medication.(I usually did good in school and got straight A's) Still, I'm worried that the things I find funny are socially inappropriate, and I wonder why I have this kind of sense of humor.

Also, please don't make fun of me for any of this, I'm genuinely asking for help. Thanks! :)

Back