A question for all Dog-lovers?

Papaw

Apr 9, 2008
Have you heard about this? I'm sharing it with all of you in this fashion to give a heads up to a real dog lover problem

If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't
have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking
about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn'tcall my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins ANDgrapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,and the doctor there was like me - had heardsomething about it, but ... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased
again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.
Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes.com

Thanks for highlighting that! I did actually know that, but it is very good that you have put this information up as so many are ignorant of the fact. We found out when my mum's dog stole some fruit cake (which she'd covered when she left the room). It was only a small piece but I made her phone the vets (it was late at night). She had to take him in immediately, and they made him vomit (they found five raisins), they then gave him charcoal and kept him on an IV drip for a three days. If we'd waited and he'd become ill it would have been too late. NEVER wait ot see if your dog becomes ill if they eat raisins, when they do they have probably already suffered irreversible kidney damage, they need immediate attention! A lot of people have dogs who suffer know reactions, but unless you want to kill your dog do not ever feed them grapes or raisins. Thanks for highlighting this!!

I knew they were toxic, but I was never told exactly what they did... this is sad though... my sister in law was giving her dogs grapes the other day, and I got mad at her... lol... this is definately worth passing on... thanks!

My dogs have been eating grapes with me for years and if i did not give them any they picked it themselves and ate it, nine years later still alive and healthy. I am not saying that it is healthy for dogs , just would like to know why has it not affected my dogs??

I had no clue... but then again, I don't give our pups fruit or veggies of any kind... or chocolate... they will get to enjoy some dinner that may fall off of the kids' plates, but other than that, they get biscuits and liver treats.

Thanks for sharing though! Its always good to learn something new.

Back