'91 Jeep Cherokee leaking radiator fluid, where to look?

Saffy

Nov 7, 2008
Couple years ago my sister borrowed my jeep one freezing morning and didn't know to warm it up first, it had more water than coolant in the radiator at the time. So she drove it about 20min to work and it shut off automatically. I came later to try and get it and it would only overheat and pour white smoke. Towed it home and changed the oil (it didnt mix with radiator fluid) a year later changed the thermostat. I've driven it a couple 20min times because I had to move it to a new location and it didn't overheat. I started replacing parts, trying to fix it up and then suddenly it leaked all the radiator fluid and as soon as I put fluid in the radiator (while turned off) it leaks from somewhere I can't identify. Im not able to take it to a mechanic yet, so I'm looking for ideas on what could be the problem or what to check, pointers in the right direction. I am not good with mechanics.
The best I can describe is that while turned off, its dripping from behind the lowest belt/pulley thingy on the engine right behind the radiator.

My best guess is to check for cracks in the radiator its self and in the hoses, also check your radiator drain spout and make sure that it is tight and not leaking from there.

it is most likely a lower hose or the radiator itself and being that old i would replace them both but be aware that these are also probe to head gasket problems and you have stated it didnt have a correct mixture of coolant and water whicn can
corrode areas in the engine especially the head gasket , and radiator . the fluid should have a correct ph balance and check for electrolysys along with potency.
you can have this pressure checked with a tester to assist on finding the leak .

Back