91 GMC Sonoma bolts from transmission to engine were loose....?

DininZolond

Jul 12, 2008
and a friend of mine caught this problem, when it was thought I had an engine knock. Instead he went under my truck and said he saw a gap between the engine and transmission, so he used my ratchet (and I think a 14mm socket?) and tightened the bolt up. The rattle was gone. I think I remember him tightening the bolt that you see, facing you, just past the starter? I bought an extension as he suggested, and used a wobbly to get the socket to the bolt, I think it fit on there, the ratchet seemed to tighten it. It didn't seem to quiet the flex plate rattle at all. What other bolts am I not considering? I'm not a mechanic like my friend is, but he's unavailable for awhile. I am aware the flexplate could be cracked or bolt holes elongated, but I am trying to limp along until I can get it fixed properly. Also, is the socket size, 14mm, correct? 14mm didn't seem to fit on the bolt. Thanks in advance.

if the rattle went away after he tightened the bolts then that,s probably what it was. another rattle could be a loose heat shield.

Back