68 volkswagen bug restoration what to do first?

Jake1

May 11, 2008
I bought a 1968 volkswagen beetle has a vast majority of parts for it except for one huge part... The engine besides that I'm not sure what to start on it has no rims on it right now and is basically stripped I'm not looking to make it a show car as of now I just want it to where when I get an engine that's all I have to put in the tranny is out and I'm pretty sure it's a good transmission the body is solid not much rust no floor pans need replaced or heater channels pretty much needs to be put together everyone is telling me to just part it out and make a little money but I would love to just build it and make it my own just not sure where to start

What you should do is make a list of everything it needs, Engine, wheels, nuts, bolts, etc. Find out how much all the parts will cost. Double that amount, and that is what you will be spending on restoring the bug. Now look at used VW's, that are in the condition you expect to be able to build yours up to, realistically. Now you can see that you will never get what you put into it if you were to sell it.

you start with a rolling chassis, in other words, get the trans in, get some wheels on it, etc. the vw is a very good first timer car because it is so simple and the parts market is huge.

Back