600cc vs 1000cc sport bikes?

MarcCarron

Dec 12, 2011
How much more aggressive is the riding
Of a 1000cc bike compared to a 600cc bike as in throttle management and every day riding? Also would you recommend getting a 1000cc bike for every day riding? I've had a zx6r for about 2 1/2 years now and was thinking about either upgrading to a litre bike or getting a newer 600cc bike

With a liter bike, you will spend % 99.9 of your riding within the first half throttle.I believe its a waste and would not recommend them for street riding.

Once you go big bore you never go back. Don't get me wrong I love all my bike, but I like the 1000 more. Before you move up make sure you check insurance. Some people have it go way up, some have it go down.

Unless you do some modifications to any stock 600,the twist of the throttle cannot be compared .Bikes in the 1000 cc category will pull the wheel up off the ground when you pound the throttle open all the way up to third gear and fourth gear.Most 600's will only do that in first gear.Don't ever believe that 1000 cc bikes are any less nimble than the 600's,I have rode them all-hard-in a straight line-and on the twisties and the pull of the big boys are way faster in all of the categories.I personally ride a 900 cc bike,my son has a zx6,and he is the one asking to switch bikes when we ride. For me it would be a hard pick between the 2,some of the newer 600's pull ungodly once you hit 8 grand,and another advantage is the redline difference,all the way to 14,000.However the quickness of the 1000 is unbeatable,unless you have a busa or a zx14.

Having owned and ridden many motorcycles, liter bikes are usually heavier and not as nimble. That doesn't matter unless you drag your knees which you shouldn't on the street anyways. A heavier bike is a little more stable on the highway and more forgiving with wind gust. The roll on torque will be much appreciated with the extra 400CC's. You will love the extra torque when you crack the throttle in 6th gear at 60 MPH without going down a gear. It's addictive.

Just to mention an alternative that is in between the 600s and the liter class is the Triumph Tiger 800 and I realize it's not a sport-bike but I'll bet you that after riding one you wouldn't care.
I've owned a Tiger 955i for 11years and love the bike so I had to go test ride the 800 just to see what it was like. The 800 three has low-mid- and high end torque. The chassis handles well and is quite comfortable.
Just saying.

I like power, I would say if you have been riding a 600 for 2 1/2 years you could handle a 1000 without any issues. Ive been riding a Hayabusa's for 10 years and I would not consider a smaller one. I would rather turbocharge mine, 35lbs of boost and a dozen other things I could get 650 hp. If I win a lottery that would be my first project.

Back