5-foot-1 RB is first girl to score a touchdown in a New York Class V football game

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
For the first time in recorded history, a girl has scored a touchdown in a New York Class V high school football game. Fittingly, the athlete who set the mark is an undersized player who competes with so much heart that it was her teammates who demanded she get a shot.

As reported by the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Schroeder High (Webster, N.Y.) junior Jensine Falu-Montes took a handoff late in her squad's game against Wilson High (Rochester, N.Y.) and barreled ahead toward the goal line. Three yards later she was being cheered by teammates and celebrating her own slice of history. The teen's touchdown -- part of a 49-8 Schroeder victory -- marked the first time in known New York state history that a girl has scored a touchdown in its largest division.
You can see video of the historic touchdown above.
That Falu-Montes would be the player to break that glass ceiling is nothing short of remarkable. She stands just 5-foot-1 and 121 pounds. Falu-MOntes is notably strong for her size and has proven to be an able running back for Schroeder during the team's practices. In fact, she had impressed so much that she had already earned game time before she scored her first touchdown against Wilson.
Most importantly, the junior has reportedly been insistent that she compete in all contact drills at practice, a trait that has made her a huge favorite among her teammates.
"She's done everything that’s been asked, she hasn’t shied away from contact drills," Schroeder coach Kali Watkins told the Democrat and Chronicle. "[The players] understand the adversity she's gone through.
"I think they wanted it more for her than she wanted it for herself."
Falu-Montes' father echoed those sentiments, and told the Rochester newspaper of both his and her excitement at seeing her walk out of school on the first day with a varsity uniform and playbook.
Now Falu-Montes has a much more fitting and lasting tribute to her toughness. And the people happiest about that appear to be her teammates, as Watkins made clear.
"The team was begging me to give the ball to her. The line was fighting me about which side would block."
Want more on the best stories in high school sports? Connect with Prep Rally on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Back