5.1 Home Theatre Setup with PS3 and 3D LED TV?

JaySy

Nov 21, 2011
I have a PS3 and I'm planning to get a 3D LED TV from LG (42LW5700) along with its free Home Theatre (HB806TM). The Home Theatre has 1 HDMI-out port and 1 optical-in port. And the TV has an optical-out and 4 HDMI ports. What I want to achieve is to be able to play the 5.1 surround if I play a movie or a game from my PS3. And be able to get the same if I watch a movie with surround from my TV. Basically, whichever I use or play to watch a movie, be it the PS3 or the TV broadcast, I want to be able to hear everything from my 5.1 Home Theatre system. I don't want to use my TV's internal speakers evern for local Tv braodcasts.

Will this connection work?
PS3 > HDMI connection > TV > Optical connection > Home Theatre.

Cuz I am wondering if I use the HDMI-out of the Home Theatre to the TV's HDMI, I wont be able to output my TV's sound to the Home Tehatre's speakers, right? Since the connection is HDMI-out from the 5.1 Home Theatre System (Note that the 5.1 Home Tehatre System has 1 HDMI port only, and it is OUT).

yes you can use the surround speakers while watching regular tv. click "mode" or "source" or "input" on the home theater remote while regular tv stations are on and then click that button on the remote until you hear the tv. just make sure you have the actual tv volume all the way down so that the home theatre is the only thing making noise. that should do the trick.

im not sure how your setup is so the only thing you can do is to just mess around with it
good luck

I have somewhat of the same setup at my place. Think of it like this: all video has to go straight to the tv. All audio has to go straight to the receiver, unless it can only go to the tv (ex. if you output video from an xbox with an hdmi cable, it doesn't give you a separate option for audio, it has to be output through the hdmi as well). So what you have to do is output everything directly to the tv with hdmi cables, or the best available if there is no hdmi (s-video, then component, then composite), then have an optical output going from the tv to the receiver's optical input. I know you can choose different audio outputs than video outputs with a ps3, but not all devices can do this (like the xbox i explained above). There are multiple ways to do it so that you don't have to go to the tv with hdmi, then out to the receiver with optical, but they require more devices and cable. Easiest way to do it is output all your audio sources to the tv, then send it out of the tv through the optical cable to the receiver.

That way you should never have to change inputs on your receiver. Only problem with this is then you could end up with multiple things outputting sound to the receiver at one time, which is fixed by directly wiring each device to the receiver individually. This is where you will need the extra things if you have, say, more than 1 optical input into your receiver.

I know, very confusing. But it takes a lot to have everything end up simple. Hope this helped. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Back