2003 Kia Rio Starter Issues?

Monty

Jun 11, 2008
So I'm not entirely sure what is wrong with my car, and I am hoping with extremely detailed information you guys can help me out:

My mechanic told me that the starter on my Kia Rio is going. There definitely is a problem, but I'm not sure if it is the starter or something else.

For example, when I go to start the car, it makes this grinding noise, it isn't very loud, but not very dull either. It sounds like it doesn't want to turn over. I am driving a manual car, so sometimes letting go of the clutch and pushing it back down will the car finally start. Although I don't think the clutch has much to do with anything...

And when the car does finally turn over, I have to hold the key over just to get the engine to FULLY turn over.

Sometimes it is difficult to start it first thing in the morning, but after that it is fine, for the most part. And vice versa.

So, I hope I have been extremely detailed on everything. From your point of experience, what do you think the problem is? The starter? Ignition switch? Alternator?

By the way, I just had the battery replaced.

Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated!

Back