1995 Chrysler Lebaron won't idle with a freshly charged battery.... Why not?

riflespinner2000

Jun 5, 2008
First off this car is not throwing any trouble codes. I gave this car a complete tune up less than 10K miles and 1 year ago. (Sea Foam Decarb, Spark plugs, wires, O2 sensor, thermostat, belts, etc...)

I'm very familiar with working on cars, but this problem just doesn't make sense to me. My alternator is going bad (and I have a bad battery), and instead of replacing the parts I've been charging the battery every once in a while until I feel the need to get dirty and replace those parts.

The problem started after I was away for a weekend and the battery had completely died. After a full recharge the car would not start. It cranked just fine and loads of black smoke and sulfur pored from the tail pipe. I gave it about half throttle and the car finally started but continued to burn thick black smoke and give a very sulfurous smell. During the one minute of keeping the engine running the smoke and smell slowly started to go away until it ran run but would not idle with a very small foot pressure on the throttle. After about another minute it started to idle again.

Over the next 30 minutes to an hour of driving the car will sometime die when the throttle goes to idle and I have to give it throttle to start it.

Once the battery is at a normal charge level the problem disappears completely.

This engine has always run rough when the throttle was at idle position... Even when running at 2500 RPMs Like decelerating. Even just a little off idle and the engine runs much smoother. This engine RPM on this car has also always dropped below 500 every once in a while after stopping.

Here is what I think may be wrong:
Leaky injector.
Leaky cold start injector (I don't know if this car has one).
Bad Throttle position sensor
Bad idle position switch
Some bad engine sensor.
Clogged idle valve
Worn camshaft or bad valve
Some other problem that the computer learns around.. Then losing power resets the computer.

Back