1983 Porsche 944, Blown Differential?

Hernan

Feb 15, 2009
I recently saw a post on craigslist of an automatic 1983 Porsche 944. It says, "It has a blown differential, but it is otherwise mechanically sound, It starts and runs, but cannot move and will need to be flat-bedded out". It has about 200k, the odometer has stopped but the price it relatively fair. So I was wondering, around how much would it cost to get it running again?

Odd that I thought I post an answer already, but it is gone.
So here is a shorter response.
An 83 944 only has a resale value around $5k in good shape, so you should not be paying more than $2k for one with a bad transxle. The differential and transmission are combined in the same transaxle unit.
It is very hard to rebuilt, but very cheap in salvage yards, like $200.
The older 924 transaxle will fit, but the 944 turbo had the best transaxle.
It is easy to do labor wise. It is in the rear, with just CV joints, linkage, and bellhousing bolts to remove.
But, it would be foolish not to also do the clutch while you are in there, and also considere the torque tube bearings. The clutch is in the back, even though the engine is in the front. And the torque tube is odd to disconnect on both ends. So the total job starts to add up.
If it is about 4 hours for transaxle, + 1 hour for clutch, + 4 hours for torque tube.
Make sure you can get the torque tube bearings before you start on it.

But check out the torque tube first, because if the front coupling is out, that could make it seem like a differential problem when it isn't.

If you have someone else do the diff job it will cost a good amount. Diff jobs are fairly difficult and the labor is expensive from a shop, so if you're on a budget, and not willing to drop a few hundred bucks on labor alone, I suggest you do it yourself. If you're still reading this, you're probably mechanically inclined. Allow me to warn you of how much you will hate yourself while trying to take this diff out. Now, if you are STILL reading this, you'll want to search your local scrap yards for a 944. Call every place possible because despite the fact that it's a Porsche, they're very cheap and often rusted out. If you're lucky and find one, simply ask for the diff. Depending on the salvage yard you go to it might either be really cheap or really expensive. In the end you could be looking at anywhere from 75-450 USD depending on where you get it from doing it yourself. Tack on an extra 400 USD for labor if you choose that route. Don't forget that you'll need diff and tranny fluid once the job is done too. Depending on condition, you might also want to replace the CV joints or axles, which will also increase the price.

Back