'02 Dodge Neon won't start?

IguessI'magoate

Mar 6, 2013
I recently replaced the battery in my '02 Dodge Neon, after that I had some trouble with it. It would turn over but no fire, and today my dad came over and took a look and my cam or crank (can't remember which) sensor was loose so he fixed it and it started right up.
Now it sputters, bucks, and dies after turning over 6-8 times. It has gas, the coil pack ohmed out okay, cam and crank sensors are okay to my knowledge. Any ideas what's going on?
The timing belt hasn't been replaced to my knowledge. Does anyone know where the cam sensor is located? The book I have isn't any help. I know the crank is between the alternator and the oil filter, is the cam up higher on the block?
Also, my car hasn't made it to 100K miles yet.

Crankshaft position sensor is most likely what he did. There are several o2 sensors and neons usually have bad throttle position sensors too

I would say that one of the sensors either the cam or crankshaft position sensor is going bad.

Take them out and clean them off and re install them both, they could just have buildup on them causing them not to read properly.

If that does not work one of them or both may need replaced.

First place to start:
Scan the PCM for any stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)
When was the last time the timing belt was replaced?
If the Camshaft and Crankshaft are "Out Of Sync" the ASD relay will not energize and you will have no spark or no injector pulse (Fuel into the engine)

NOTE: Another issue on the 2.0L SOHC engine in the Neon is the Camshaft gear dowel pin will shear off and cause your condition.
Keep in mind that the Timing Belt is due to be replaced at 105K (105,000 miles) and the 2.0L IS an Interference engine!

Back