Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member ruthlessbassmaster27's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Advice on garaging a Jeep?

I live in california and i have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee with 156,000 miles on it. obviously it is coming time for a new car. only problem is that i cant force myself to part with it. my plan is to keep it in the garage for a few years until i can refurbish it and set it up for offroading (the engine block itself has no problems). How exactly does this work with the insurance company and about how much should i expect to pay? also is there any reduction on registration for a vehicle that will not be driven at all, mabe a few hundred miles a year tops.

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    i think you should get a new car a new yr i have a car that is old as well but about in Dec im going to get a new car don't know what car just but im going to get one like in the yr of 2000 and up but it really comes down to you do you really want a new car or do u love the car you have make up a list why you need a new car and the same why you want to use your old one and which over is more then you go with it ok but i really don't think you should but it in the garage you should sell it or trade it in or just give it away do u have kids that need a car because they just got their license if so give them the car or any other kid that is in you family that is the legal age to drive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In california I am not sure how to not pay the yearly road tax 'cause the plate stays on the car,
    as far as insurance, I would drop it all , not driving it you do not need coverage and the only way it could be a loss is if the garage burns down, I would add the jeep to your homeowners policy to cover the value in a fire.

concerning yearly storage,
    run the car just outside the garage, take off the air filter while it is running and pour 10 weight motor oil down the air intake until it stalls.
    pour and extra quart of oil in the engine.
    Drain the fuel tank completely from siphoning or removal of the fuel line.
    push back in the garage and jack it up to let the tires hang an inch off the ground, remove the air in the tires down to 10 pounds, , buying a hand pump sprayer that can spray motor oil, get a quart of 5 weight motor oil and spray the complete engine compartment the engine and fender walls,Do not spray the fan belts buy a box of moth balls and put some in a dish inside the motor compartment, some in the interior and trunk area, lower the windows two inches, remove the battery

there is more to do but this would suffice