If you were to create your own false religion?

deskpotato

Feb 6, 2009
do you agree that demanding complete faith, no matter what, would be a good mechanism to prevent followers from straying?

It seems that to succeed and become one of the globally operating, oppressive religions of the world, you need to insist on faith. But outright demanding it probably isn't the way to go. You need to just sort of gently
*imply* that without it you'll suffer for eternity.

Not all religions insist on unwavering faith. But the really successful ones seem to.

I was a leader of a cult for about a week. It was the Coalition of Glory. I didn't demand complete faith, though, and in hindsight, that was a mistake.

In my religion all of the girls would be required to be hot and fun and all of the guys would drive pickup trucks, like whiskey and smoke. everybody would have to be patriotic and like country music. activiteis would include hunting, fishing, skiing and whitewater rafting. the world would be nice if it was like this.

No. Consider the phenom of FSM. Obviously, from the numbers alone, you can see that promising stripper factories and beer volcanoes works much better than threatening people who have an absence of faith.

Oh, I don't know. I think I'd just stick with the tried and true formula... Tell my friends that if you want to make a lot of money then just start a religion, then start one based on the most hysterical B-grade sci-fi story I could come up with and call it something artsy craftsy like Scientology.

God bless you.

Back