1998 Honda Civic EX Overheating - May be thermostat?

irishbloke1986

Feb 13, 2009
I have seen the guage showing a quarter inch below the heat line. It will cool down almost immediately after I turn the heat on. 1 or 2 times I have seen it heat up even when the heat was on. I have the correct amount of 50/50 coolant in the radiator. Midas had pressure tested it today, and all was fine, but said they wanted to do an extensive test for over 2 hours.
I drove all day today like normal, and not one time did it over heat. I am trying to figure out if this means I need a new water pump, or a new thermostat, or both.

There might be a slim chance it is my fault that it heated up.
Reason: 2 days ago I noticed the coolant was low. I filled it up to the max line. I did not however do it in a professional manner. I did not remove the radiator cap, and fill to the brim like I should have, letting air out by running the car for around 10 minutes. I am optimistic that this was the reason it was over heating, because it has not over heated all day. Help!

If a thermostat sticks closed it will overheat no matter what you do. It is possible that it will stick some days and not others.

As for the water pump, it is pretty uncommon for them to go out and not pump coolant. Usually when they go out they will leak coolant at the front of the engine.

If you added coolant like you say then there is a good chance you just had an air pocket in the system and that was causing it to overheat. Keep the coolant topped off and drive it for a while to give it a chance to work all of the air out.

if you are below the hot you are ok, the fan turns on and the temp drops. shuts off then it goes back up. turn on the heater and you are drawing heat from the engine.

while motor is cold remove radiator cap fil radiator with coolant crank motor watch flow in a few minutes coolant should drop and rise if thermostat is working if its flowing all the time its stuck open an dmight never heat up this time of year if stuck close car wil over heat in a few minutes really cheap and easy you can find how to's on about all car repairs so type into search box
how to check over heating car
how to replace thermostat
add video to end of any sometimes wil get one pretty much any thing about car repair just type in how to replace or how to check and name of part or name of car like
how to replace brake pads video
or how to replace starter 2002 chevy nova video also autozone has many car repair info online you can type in your info and find the part and what store and get a how to replace part as well ... water pump bad it wil leak coolant under the front of car thru a vent hole 99% of time wil be thermostat or dirty radiator

Yeah I'd be optimistic, maybe you adding coolant not in a "professional manner" caused the overheating.
Did the dummies there do a block test and check if your fan(s) are working or did they skip that part?

Back