Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tv as computer monitor compatibility?

I am very computer illiterate.

I want to use a large 47 inch screen LCD HDTV for a computer monitor and I am wondering if it is possible to do this with the type of computer that I have.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1834NX and it uses shared/Integrated graphics.

It uses the ati radeon xpress 200

It says 256MB beside it so I guess that's how much of the memory its using right now but I only have 1 gb ram and I can upgrade it to 4gb ram and I think that might cause more of the memory to go to the shared/integrated graphics.

I don't play games on my computer, I just watch videos and check email and stuff.

Basically I have three questions.

1) Can I use an LCD HDTV as a monitor for the computer that I have now.

2) Does having a poor computer Graphics Card affect the image on the tv screen or is it completely dependent on how good the resolution is on the HDTV.

3) I was told because my Computer uses Integrated graphics that I can't upgrade the graphics by getting a new graphics card because it wouldn't work. Is that correct?

This is very important as I may or may not be purchasing $1,500 tv based on the answers given.

Please help.
    The reason I am asking is because I was told that you need a good graphic's card if you use a 30 inch computer monitor or else it won't work with your computer.

So I'm trying to figure out if it is the same way if you use a HDTV as a monitor or if it dosen't matter what kind of graphics card you have with a tv as long as it has good display resolution.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you can hook up a tv to a computer if your computer and tv support it. you need to have either an HDMI port on your computer and tv or a video out on your computer and a Video in on your tv, which are pretty common these days. I'm not sure about your graphics card and your tv working together. No offence but integrated graphics cards aren't the greatest. If you really need help you should contact Hewlett Packard's computer health and information services.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope this helps. I have my hdtv hooked up along with my computer sceen so I'm sure yours will work. I had a friend of mine (a compter nerd) do mine. I just had to have a video card installed and a s-video cord plugged into that and the tv (or a hdmi cord if tv and video card both have the hook ups, it should make it more clear with hd.) some text I can't read because it is fuzzy. If this matters, my friend also installed ati.(it's a control center for switching what is dispayed on each screen). If i had to guess, the screen will be effected by the video card a little.I don't know much about computers either so I can't answer #3, sorry. As far a sound goes I just got a RCA cord and put a adapter on one end and plugged into computer and the other red and white end I plugged in to tv in same slot as the s-video cord. I don't know if you have to do that with hdmi cord.