Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ice fell off room and destroyed my truck. Who is liable for damages?

I have been renting a place in upper Michigan for the last 6 months and this morning I found that a big shelf of ice had fallen off the roof and landed on the hood of my truck. The hood is completely destroyed along with both front quarter panels, the front bumper, the grill, headlights, and there is a leak in my radiatir hose. My auto insurance won't cover the damages and I was wondering if the owner is liable to pay to fix my truck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, the owner will not fix your truck. It SHOULD have been covered by your comprehensive insurance (same as if a tree had fallen on it). If you don't have comprehensive insurance, it's your pocket, dude.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In order for the home owner to be responsible for the damage to your truck you would have to prove that the homeowners negligence caused the ice to fall on your vehicle.

The ice falling from the roof does not make the property owner automatically responsible.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle, that would pay to fix your car. Sounds like you don't.

As such, you will probably have to pay this out of pocket.

Sometimes cr@p happens and you don't get paid for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have comprehensive coverage, your insurance should cover it. If you don't have comprehensive coverage, then you're not too bright.

You can file a small claims suit against the owner, go in front of Judge Judy on TV, it'll be interesting to see how a case like this turns out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are.... they will say you parked too close to the building knowing that there was an ice storm out there.