steals my pet and is arrested"? This is the condensed version of events. Verizon hired a subcontracting company to come to our home to perform some work. While performing those duties, one of the men asked my mother-in-law "whose dog was that tied up"? My mother-in-law responded by saying it belonged to her son-in-law! When my wife and I returned home the dog is gone. (Remember this is the condensed version) The following day, the dog is returned and the thief is arrested and charged with felony theft. My question is this: I would like to file a civil suit against Verizon and the subcontracting company for the pain and suffering this person inflicted upon me and my family. I would also think that some sort of punitive damages should be in order. When I contacted one attorney, he told me that unless I could prove that the Companies in question knew that this individual had a propensity to steal that the companies could not be held responsible. So, I asked this same attorney hypothetically speaking if this same person came to my home and murdered someone, your saying that the companies would not be held responsible because they had no clue that he had a propensity to murder? I got no response. I live in Silver Spring, Maryland can someone please refer me to an attorney who will assist me in this matter. I've already done the legal referral thing without any results yet. Thanks for help!