Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

whats the best nutrition plan for a diabetic?

im a junior in highschool and have a bright future, however this disease is holding me back...im an ace pitcher for my varsity team, but im looking for some structure to stay healthy with a food plan....also does ne one know if i can use the insulin of my type 1 diabetes to gain muscle....and can i use supplements such as creatine no explode and all that

Downloads
    Uploads
    keeping your blood sugar under control is the key to bulking up. As long as you take the correct dose of insulin for the food you eat you should be able to gain. I hope you have an insulin pump. My pump has made managing my diabetes much easier. Ask an M.D. about supplements,

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your insulin forces nutrients, sugar, into your muscles. You should talk with a doc or diabetic counselor about what type of insulin to use and when to keep good muscle growth going. Usually fast acting calculated to cover the carbs you ate. This should within a half hour of your heavy workout. You need protein and carbs and insulin to feed the muscle.
    Some say OK on creatine some say no. Most who say OK are talking about type 2 people. I would not do it if I was type 1.

As far as diet is concerned I would suggest you and your parents read Dr. Bernstiens book Diabetes in Control. it is an approach that is hard but has worked very well for a lot of type 1's.
    You can find most of the book on line.

http://www.thebernsteinconnection.com/