Heartbroken at daughter leaving me to live with her dad...?

ClareS

May 28, 2008
Three weeks ago my ten year old daughter informed me she wished to live her Dad and his girlfriend.

I had been having a terrible time with her moods,nastiness toward me etc so decided if this would make her happy then I would let her try for a while.

This is the 3rd week I have hardly seen her and she seems to be getting on well and according to him her behavoir has been good. She is my only child and I absolutely heartbroken. I miss taking her to school,collecting her etc. My whole world feels as though it's been torn apart.

I really don't know what to do for the best.....
Any advice please?

That's terrible thing to go through... but sometimes it's inevitable.
I am 18 now, but when I was 13 my parents divorced and I chose to live with my dad. I didn't get alone well with my mom either and there were many different variables as to why. If my mom would've just sat down and asked me why... I would've gladly told her and she could've adjusted a little. I was willing to compromise my attitude as well, if only she would've taken the time to stop arguing with me and hear me out.

If you just sit down with her, tell her you love her, and listen to her... you'll get a lot further. Even at 10, a child deserves to be heard.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes!

if you have had her for a long time maybe she was just wanting to live with her dad to have some time with him. i get mad and hateful with my mom alot and do not mean to. i feel really bad afterwards. just make sure you let her know your still there and that you love her.
she is very young and a divorce prolly hurt her.
so shes just a lil lost.

She was probably heartbroken when you two split up. I think it's generous of you to let her go. It's really important for her to have a good relationship with her dad, too.

I think you need to give her time, this is new to her..living with her dad..but in the meantime stay in contact with her, phone her every week just to chat about her school, friends, how she is doing living with her dad...but don't become a needy mother...sit tight and wait for her to get pass all her moods. It must be heart breaking for you, but no matter what happens..stay in contact with her...and let her know the door is always open to her.

I went through the same thing. I understand your heatbroken. U really need to find time to be with her though. Take her on outings that are fun where u can laugh. Be silly. When she's with u NEVER talk about dad and friend, unless she brings it up and watch what u say back. Being at her dads will get old and she'll be back. Let's just get her back soon. I learned I should of never given my daughters the choice and that's what they still tell me now and their 19 and 22 now. Hope this helps. I feel for u

You mentioned she seems to be getting on well.That is a good sign, isn't it?
What you have done is, i am assuming,for her, you must have felt it was not a "bad" thing for her or i am sure you would not have allowed it.
I did the same thing at one time, and my heart was broke. It turned out fine, and after the newness passed, my son remembered his bond with me also, and i realized, him going with his father was a positive thing for him and he still loved me. It just took some time, to get a handle on missing him and feeling like he "forgot me completely".
If she is happy, you feel she is being taken care of properly, try and think, humm-if my best friend was in this situation, now what would i tell her<then, take that same advise.
We do tend to get our "feelings" in the way, our pride (what if dad's gal really gets on well with my daughter? Where am i gonna be left in the picture?) type thoughts. Trust your relationship, no matteer what, this should be about your child and what is best for her, even when it hurts. Isn't that what good parenting is all about? Sacrafice of our own feelings for the betterment of our children? You will be fine if you can look at this from asking "is this a good positve thing for her?" or not.
best to you.

I think it's just her age. It's a difficult stage.
My daughter liked school and her teachers last year but not this year. We are constantly arguing. We love each other and we both know it.
I tend to agree with the above person that said "She'll come back"
after she settles in and gets in.

Give her some time.

She will probably want to come back when they
start disciplining her.

Right now they are all enjoying the new relationship
that they are having.

When the rainbow fades she will be looking for her
mommy.

Best wishes

That's her decision and you lat her leave maybe you can make a date for the both of you to go out and have some fun for a while just so you wont feel so lonely.

I'm 15 my parent's divorced a while ago and a few years ago i wanted to live with my dad in california. i live in az and i only got to see in the summer over break. i even talked to him about it but then i thought that i could never do that to my mom leaving her all alone. i feel that shes my responsibility as much as i am hers. i love her so much and we take care of each other. i decided i would wait and see how things went. i decided to stay but we are kind of seperating because we fight a lot. we both have tempers but its only been just us 2 for 6 years. my dad died just under a year ago and i reget not spending enough time with him but I DO NOT regret staying with my mom. maybe let her stay for a while and get to spend time with him and i hope she soon decides to come back and live with you

Back