Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's just that they don't want to get caught up in the modern, materialistic ways of life that the majority of the Earth has because they don't want it to make them obsessed with material items, and not devote themselves to God.

There's no Biblical proof, it's just that that's how they choose to glorify God and we shouldn't criticize them for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with the first answer, I doubt you will see much Amish support on the internet save for those few forgotten souls still watching Weird Al's "Amish Paradise" on youtube...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know if this is really aimed at the amish or not but:

Jas:4:4: Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Junior Member elegantelephants2's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Amish do not condemn modern living.To the Amish family and faith matter the most and they hold these standards against any modern goods.

For an example- they do not use TVs, not because Tvs are bad, but because they have the potential to have a negative influence.The Bible condemns laziness and the TV is also seen as something that fosters the bad habit of laziness and as something that could interfer with family life.

The Amish do use some modern goods that do comply with their faith- the New Orders use tractors and modern milking machines, pregnant women, invalids and business men can use mobile phones.The Old Orders can use drills and lawnmowers and the Beachy Amish-Mennonites use electricity, cars and computers.Some even listen to hymns on CDs and use the Internet to have blogs.Each church differs slightly- one church will permit lawn mowers but no buttons on clothes for vanity's sake, but the next church may not permit lawn mowers, but will permit buttons and electricity in the barn.The Amish use gas power, solar power and hydrological power to run their fridges, water heaters, lamps, stoves and milking machines.

Another factor, is the verse:

Romans 12:2
    And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The Amish include the use of electricity as conforming with the world.If electricity is introduced, they fear their values and faith will disintegrate--especially when they saw Mennonite churches that got gradually more liberal with cars and electricity and then computers and DVDs and then the Internet and discarding plain dress and now have left the faith.

PS-There are blacks, Indian, coloureds and Hispanics who are Amish-Mennonite and Conservative Mennonite in faith.The Amish faith is stricter and therefore harder for outsiders to join.The Amish and Mennonites also originated from Europe, which is why so many are white.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most Amish that I know do not condemn modern living. They use most modern conveniences (phones, cars, even computers and the Internet) when they can use them without owning them. Some church elders may not like this practice, but it's pretty common in my area. They also are practical enough to understand they cannot survive in a modern world without some adjustments. One of the most public is the use of electric lights on their horse-drawn buggies. Too many Amish were being killed by driving without lights in high traffic areas. Survival provided the reasoning for going modern with proper lighting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    all i know is the amish are pretty fked up. i mean what the hell, its 2009 get with the fkn program, y would you wanna live like that. srsly, i hate amish people, they look like 200lbs of bird $h1t. I mean its their choice but they are still douches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12