How Many Smokers Are Okay With Obama's Tax Hike Signed Yesterday?

DrewM

Apr 17, 2008
Obama signed a bill yesterday, raising the cost of cigarettes 60 cents more per pack.
Are you Obama supporters that smoke good with that? Now we only need 22 million more smokers to pay for the Childrens Health insurance- Oh yah- the so called 11 million children include 30 year olds and under, the smokers are paying for this.

Yeah, it's one way I guess. Some of the smokers will end up costing us down line anyway...so a contribution from them is OK, and they can always quit. That is tax you have choice about.

yep now HE has to pay an extra 60 cents per pack. Oh wait a second...... immune to law. He gets his for FREE!!!

Fork Obama and his tax and spend policies! I guess that tells you I am not one of his supporters.

It's a good thing we don't legalize marijuana and tax the proceeds from that because after all dangerous drug gangs need money to buy their guns. bullets ain't cheap!

I don't care, cause I roll my own! LOL My weekly cost is about $7 a week.

Jason, you amaze me. How would you suggest that the unemployed get health insurance? How do you think people who work for a company that does not provide it get it? Have you ever shopped for a policy for someone over 40 with a chronic condition?

I'm not even a smoker and I find it disgusting that taxes on tobacco keep rising to help insure people that don't have health insurance by choice. I wonder what the government will do once the smokers revolt and stop buying cigarettes.

Too bad obama is too weak minded to be able to quit....His example has made smoking the new "in." for young people. So now--they'll be more crime by poor who have to have a Pack of cigs they can't afford...
obama is just plain dumb...and inexperienced--and it shows.

It's a democrat thing. Their policies always result in higher taxes. Don't be fooled by Obama. he doesn't pay for his coffin nails. If people want to smoke, then smoke. I'm not a smoker but don't support one particular groups of people having to pay for some type of govt. program that will fail anyway. Look out for the marriage tax. This country is getting pathetic. I sure wish we could just start over lol.

It's a democrat thing. Their policies always result in higher taxes. Don't be fooled by Obama. he doesn't pay for his coffin nails. If people want to smoke, then smoke. I'm not a smoker but don't support one particular groups of people having to pay for some type of govt. program that will fail anyway. Look out for the marriage tax. This country is getting pathetic. I sure wish we could just start over lol.

I'm just as against it now as I was when it came up before and was vetoed by Bush. In my opinion, the bill should have gone back to committee to consider different funding options. Basically, if SCHIP is to be funded by a 'sin tax' then why not a tax on alcohol as well? Or why not a tax similar to the property taxes collected for education? Is it that the only tax increase the Republicans would consider for the funding was a tobacco tax increase? That's what I remember from researching this bill over a year ago.

Since smokers are a diminishing tax base, I guess the tobacco companies should start advertising on TV and billboards again. Maybe they could also resurrect their old marketing campaigns and handout free samples outside of school playgrounds... get those younguns hooked early so they can start paying for their own health care, right?
<sarcasm>

He didn't go far enough ! Tobacco is the only thing for sale, that when used as intended, will kill ya ! He should make them illegal !

I wouldn't have a problem with the tax honestly (i really need to quit smoking, and I have gradually cut down on how much i smoke as price has gone up) IF this money woudn't be squandered. Our gov't spends tax dollars like there's no tomorrow. The people I know that have the same wasteful spending habits as bush did and now obama have all gone bankrupt.

What I'd like to know is, how much of a pack is taxes now anyway? They already cost twice as much as they did a few years ago.

Back