car is overheating 1997 BMW 528i?

Gabriel

May 25, 2008
It's probably the water pump. It isn't usually the impeller that goes bad in car water pumps (unlike boat water pumps.) It's usually the bearings that fail, that's probably the squeaking you're hearing. This is usually accompanied by a slow leak out of the "weeping" hole in the water pump. When the bearings fail the slide instead of roll, this causes heat and that causes the seal to fail and that allows water to come out of the weeping hole as a tell tail that you need a new water pump.

It's probably the water pump. It isn't usually the impeller that goes bad in car water pumps (unlike boat water pumps.) It's usually the bearings that fail, that's probably the squeaking you're hearing. This is usually accompanied by a slow leak out of the "weeping" hole in the water pump. When the bearings fail the slide instead of roll, this causes heat and that causes the seal to fail and that allows water to come out of the weeping hole as a tell tail that you need a new water pump.

Here are the symptoms:

Car in park: operates fine

Car in Park with heater on: overheats

Car in drive and foot on brake: overheats. overheats faster with heater on. also, it idles rougher (not to bad but a slight vibrate and it squeaks) the minute i throw it in gear and have my foot on brake.

when the car starts to run hot, the temp will go down as soon as i start driving.

i have replaced the fan clutch twice, thinkking that it was a bad part and i also replaced the thermostat back in august. could it be the water pump even though the impeller is plastic? if so, i still don't understand why it would squeak and idle rougher in gear with foot on brake.

please help me with this! Thanks in advance.

Back