Do the BMW M3s burn oil?

Radman

Jun 6, 2008
I'm especially interested in the 2002-2005 E46 M3s as well as the other 3-series cars. Do they burn oil and how much? Do they also leak oil from the transmission or such?

My 2002 M3 with 65000 miles does not have a drop under it in the garage, and I don't ever have to top it up with oil between the annual oil changes it gets. The oil gets changed annually or every 15000 miles. For me it's annually.

They shouldn't burn oil at ALL, no car should burn oil. If they do that means there rings are bad or a number of other things, but I'm sure an M3 will not burn a drop of oil.

They shouldn't burn oil at ALL, no car should burn oil. If they do that means there rings are bad or a number of other things, but I'm sure an M3 will not burn a drop of oil.

their usually not notorious for burning oil unless the have been ran hot and have a problem with the piston rings ,and leaks aren't that common on them either,but if you get a high mileage one that you don't know how its been treated you may get one that's burning or leaking oil,those are usually pretty good vehicles though,if you can get a maintenance record with it that will help a lot,it might save you from buying one thats had previous problems,good luck.

their usually not notorious for burning oil unless the have been ran hot and have a problem with the piston rings ,and leaks aren't that common on them either,but if you get a high mileage one that you don't know how its been treated you may get one that's burning or leaking oil,those are usually pretty good vehicles though,if you can get a maintenance record with it that will help a lot,it might save you from buying one thats had previous problems,good luck.

Back