How to stop 4 mo. old Doberman whining! ?

Steven

May 12, 2008
He is 4 months old, and my dog wont stop whining when he is in the backyard. I take him for walks/runs first thing in the morning, but as soon as we get back and i put him outside, he starts whining. I can't get anything done, because he wants to be inside all the time. He does spend some time inside, about half the day. I tried correcting him with the spike collar when he whines but as soon as you walk away he continues.
Further Explanation: I work from home and the dog is always in the house with me. In the morning i take him and my other 4 month old Boxer Female on walks which i run and he follows me dashing alongside me. We run for about and hour, when i get back and want to take a shower he will whine, when im working and can't watch him then he whines. I take both dogs out at least 3 times a day, but like im hearing he just wants to be always next to me. I used the prong collar becuase thats what most people recommend. I heard that the choke collar wasn't good and regular collars pulled on the trachea. If this isn't true what should i use?

Some dogs don't enjoy being isolated in the backyard. Dogs are social animals and require a lot of work - especially 4 month old puppies. Your dog is whining because he is unhappy, and you go and punish him with a spike collar, which I'm just guessing makes him more unhappy. Try putting one of those things on YOUR neck and see how it feels.

A 4 month old puppy is going to need a lot more exercise than just walks/runs in the morning. He's going to need that at least 2 or 3 times a day. When he gets a little older he will calm down and stop bugging you so much.

In the meantime, start exercising your dog more unless you want a dog with mental problems later on. Or, you can give your dog to someone who can meet his needs.

Back