Is a yamaha R6 a good first bike? Is it comfortable? Is it to much power?

ZachY1

Jan 6, 2009
I am a good dirtbike rider. I will be commuting about 10 miles each way to work. I am worried that if I buy a 250 or 500cc I will get bored with it. My cusion has a R1 and I dont want to be left in the dust!! I am a quick learner and can adjust to bikes easy.

it's a good bike!!!!
it has alot of speed and my girlfriend broke her leg and 2 ribs by the cause of the bike

What up Zach? Ive been riding for 17 years and I think that the R6 is a great bike for you. You are experienced, and feel pretty good about your ability to learn. You seem to understand that the smaller bikes wont work for you. Which is good. I know guys that are stuck with bikes that they have out grown already. I would suggest taking the Motorcycle Rider Safety Course offerd by the state. I hear what your saying about being left in the dust. I ride a Busa so I leave alot of my friends in the dust, but I would say to you forget about that stuff for right now. When you start to ride ALWAYS ride within YOUR capeabilities. Good luck. Have fun, keep the rubber side down shiny side up.

the r6 is really not a beginner bike.

I have a gsxr 1000 and a yamaha r6 (2006)

The r1 will still blow away the r6, however i find the r6 more relaxing sometimes. it has power where you need it(top end). It starts out a bit slower, however that give you the advantage of accelerating during a turn. Insurance is cheaper also. The quarter mile time difference between the two is within a sec or so. the smaller cc engine has less of the engine braking effect, and a slipper clutch which makes thing a bit smoother when downshifting.I enjoy my r6 more than my gsxr 1000. You will never use any sportbike to its full potential on the street, so id go with r6.

Back