Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nah its just way better with the HDMI cable the image would look kinda weak with the s-video cable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Should I buy the Blu Ray player if I can only use S-Video?

I have a 2 year old pioneer plasma display. Essentially it is a 42" computer monitor but I purchased a video card so I can use it as a TV. It looks GREAT with HDTV and with DVDs.

However, I have been thinking about purchasing a BluRay Player. The problem is that the video card only has s-video and component video connections. There is no HDMI connection so does it make sense to purchase a blu ray player? In other words, will the quality be good enough?

I did ask pioneer and the rep said that with no HDMI cable it wouldn't make sense, but sometimes there are solutions that the manufacturer doesn't know or doesn't support.

Downloads
    Uploads
    HDMI is specifically for HD, and blue ray is in High def too, therefore the signal through s-video is not high definition therefoew you wouldnt benefit from HD qualities of blue ray through s-video. I dont have a blue ray so im not even sure if they have s-video out ports. I dont think it would make sense to buy one if your not benefiting from the full benefits unless you are planning to upgrade your tv in the near future, but then again you might as well wait as the price of blue ray will certainly drop as popularity increases.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No there is no point. Your not getting anywhere near the resolution with an s-video cable that a blu-ray player can put out, you would barley notice a difference between a regular dvd player and a blu-ray. Do blu-ray players even have s-video? mine doesnt. The simple answer is no there is just no point in spending at least 0 for an unnoticeable quality jump