Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If that is a 2.6 ghx single-core processor I HIGHLY doubt you have a PCI-Express slot on your motherboard. It sounds to me like you dont know much about comps (which isnt a bad thing). In order to build a good gaming computer, you need to have a bit of knowledge, especially when it comes to literally putting it together.
    My recommendations:
    4GB of MATCHED Ram (Maybe 6 if you want to run Vista w/ high quality games)
    At least 500GB of hard drive space (to hold games! lol)
    At least a 3.0 ghz dual core processor (chooose AMD or Intel)

Matching motherboard with at least 1 PCIX 16 slot
    Video card in the 9000 series (I use NVIDIA) with at least 512mb of memory cache

Downloads
    Uploads

Video Card Advice For A Future Gamer?

I need advice on a video card. I am going to be getting into gaming ( not sure what games yet) and gonna need a card. I am running 2.6G processor, 2 meg ram, 5.1 sound, etc etc. Any help on a decent, yet not real real expensive card would be helpful!!!
    Btw....it is Intel E7300 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo and yes......Pcie x 16 2.0 slot.......I know more than you think.....just never got into the video cards thank you
    sorry not 2 meg ram 2 gig lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    If that is a 2.6 ghx single-core processor I HIGHLY doubt you have a PCI-Express slot on your motherboard. It sounds to me like you dont know much about comps (which isnt a bad thing). In order to build a good gaming computer, you need to have a bit of knowledge, especially when it comes to literally putting it together.
    My recommendations:
    4GB of MATCHED Ram (Maybe 6 if you want to run Vista w/ high quality games)
    At least 500GB of hard drive space (to hold games! lol)
    At least a 3.0 ghz dual core processor (chooose AMD or Intel)
    Matching motherboard with at least 1 PCIX 16 slot
    Video card in the 9000 series (I use NVIDIA) with at least 512mb of memory cache

Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll need atleast 4 gigs to sufficently run any modern high qualiy game, for sure if your going to game in the future. I would highly recomend the GTX260 because it is very effiecent and is at the 200 price point. (i gotmine for 180 cause of rebates.) I would choose teh GTX 260 over the HD radeon 4870 becasue the 260 runs much cooler. but if you find teh 4870 cheaper than teh 260 , go for it.

BTW make sure your Motherboard has a PCI-ex16 2.0 slot so that youre computer can make the best of the GPU. Just wondering, whats your CPU? Because if it is old, it might keep the graphics card's potential locked up. Example: On oblivion scrolls you could have 100 Fps when your CPu prevents you from going over 70FPS. Note to oher answerers. That was just an example. you dont' have to sue me if i'm wrong.

=) hope this helped.

Junior Member whatchamacallit1971's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always had better experience with nvidia cards than with ATI, probably because of the quality of the drivers.

Here are my recommendations based on budget:

Low - if you are playing on a low res monitor/can't afford an expensive card, get the 9600GT. If you can't afford it, I suggest that you start saving because anything less than the 9600GT is not going to cut it when it comes to any of the more recent games. Price ~$70.
    Medium - 22" monitor or less, get the 9800GT. Price ~$120.
    High - the GTX260. Price ~$220.
    Ultra high - the GTX280. Price ~$340.

Edit: one more thing, any card with a GPU less powerful than the 9800 is not going to be able to take advantage of more than 512MB of memory, so don't let it affect your decision.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always had better experience with nvidia cards than with ATI, probably because of the quality of the drivers.

Low - if you are playing on a low res monitor/can't afford an expensive card, get the 9600GT. If you can't afford it, I suggest that you start saving because anything less than the 9600GT is not going to cut it when it comes to any of the more recent games. Price ~$70.

Edit: one more thing, any card with a GPU less powerful than the 9800 is not going to be able to take advantage of more than 512MB of memory, so don't let it affect your decision.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads