Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would it be ok if i bring my handheld GPS with me on my airplane?

I am trying to find someones house and it will be very hard to use the charts to take me right to the house. can i just load the coordinates into the gps and fly to it? or is there some FAA rule telling me otherwise

I am flying a Diamond Katana DA20 that does not have any GPS equipment built in

Yahoo why all the hate? If i am not a pilot why would i ask a question like this? of coruse i can fly with a chart and the DG but it would be very difficult to use pilotage when i am not fimiler with the area

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can use anything you want to navigate. There is no rule against using any GPS in a small aircraft, unless you are flying IFR and using some other radio to navigate. If you are just finding a friend's house, that's no problem. Just don't buzz him! That is illegal. Have fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it is okay, the only regulation concerning the use of a GPS, is when flying under IFR, you must use an IFR approved GPS with a current data base(no hand held fits this criteria) for primary navigation.
    If you know the lat and long, you SHOULD be able to locate it within a 1/2 mile on you sectional .Plot the coordinates on the sectional, draw a line from point of departure to it, using your plotter, determine the distance and true course, then use a combination of pilotage and ded reckoning skills to find it, much more challenging and will make you a better pilot. Does your aircraft have a VOR reciever? Is there a VOR with in reception range of the coordinates?
    That said, I dont go any where with out my Garmin GPS 496 and 196 as a back up, just in case!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You Could Always do it the very old IFR way before all this electronic stuff pilots who flew IFR meat ........ I Follow Roads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure, but wouldn't it be funner to use a map and compass?

If your a pilot shouldn't you know how to fly without a GPS? With just charts?

Give up the act, your not a pilot, just a wanna be pilot the others.

EDIT
    Because if you were a pilot, bitch, you would know all the FAA guidelines. And from your picture you look 10.

Below- Kiss the pilot is NOT a pilot.

pilot & Mathematician Spaniard- Dumb mexican STFU