Why do some people falsely claim that Buddhism is not a religion?

Dec 25, 2008
It may not worship a Creator God, but it does indeed have doctrines, and the main goal is to break free from the endless cycle of death and rebirth. There are rituals, although some sects more than others. There are even deities, but they're not gods in the Western sense because they're subject to death and rebirth too.

There are vastly different types of Buddhism, some more faith based than others, but it is a religion. It's unlike any other religion, however, in that it's tolerant of other religions, doesn't believe it's the only path, and encourages free thinking and skepticism and testing it for yourself to see if it's true. It's not as much about faith as it is practice.

Even though we all want knowledge, it's still not required to live a happy life. That being said:

The bible says:

For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness, and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus. (Romans 2:14-16)

Tolerance of other religions is not taught by all religions, unfortunately.

In a public parking lot I was approached and told that if I didn't recognize Jesus as my Lord and Savior then I would go to hell.

You just have to let people be ignorant and remain tolerant.

Sadhu!! Well said!

Remember that faith is one of the powers a practitioner develops, but faith is meant to balance out knowledge: Faith in the enlightenment of the Buddha, the truth of the Dhamma, and the worthiness and integrity of the Sangha.

Of course it's a religion. The next time you see this, it might help if you link to the question or answer.

I'd like to read it myself, and give what I feel is an appropriate reply.

Thank you.

Some forms of Buddhism are more akin to philosophical or spiritual doctrines, rather than religious doctrines.

Overall it can be classed as a belief system through its non-dogmatic and eclectic qualities. Some forms of Buddhism are religions, and other forms are non-theistic and therefore not religions.

It's basically just semantics anyway.

You say religion, I say philosophy. To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to. What difference does it make? I think we can agree that Buddhism is a rich and wonderful tradition.

It is a religion, and all religion is bad

Only a direct link between you and God though Jesus is the only way God wants it.

I think they say that because they classify it as a philosophy of life and because Siddhartha never claimed divinity.

Dictionary's definition- a religion is believe in a Creator, the God; then Buddhism is not a religion because we don't believe in Creator theory.

If you considered someone follows a set ways of conducts, believes and outlooks is a religion, then Buddhism is a religion.

Correctly speaking, all Gods will come to an end one day, even thought their life spans may be considered quite long compare to humans; but when compare to other Gods of Hinduism, the Western gods, they are really living a rather short life; also compare to the Hungry ghosts and Hell Beings, they are piteous.

On the other hand, Buddhist Deities have infinite life span, because they are beyond Samsara, neither rebirths nor death.

Back