Cheese Sauce keeps breaking?

Tuggie

Dec 23, 2008
I am making scalloped potatoes and the recipe calls for using milk and heating it to a near boil. Then I put in cheddar cheese and pore it on eat layer of the potatoes. I put in the oven at 350 degree oven and cook until the potatoes are cooked through. I took it out after 55 minutes and noticed water along the edges, the milk fats in the cheese or milk separated, leaving me with curds and whey (water). I'm not sure what I did wrong here, any tips?

i sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of flour in the bottom of my glass baking casserole and also I always use whole milk and salted butter. Use a russett potato since it is starchy and slice them really thin with a madoline slicer.

You need to make a white sauce before adding the cheese to the milk.

OR< assemble it all w/o heating the milk, and let the oven do the work. The starch from the potatoes ought to tighten it up (bake w/ foil on first 35 min or so)

Basic White Sauce
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more or less milk depending on desired consistency.

Cheese Sauce:
To hot white sauce, stir in 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, stirring over low heat until melted.

Back