I have a question for the truck drivers out there?

18Speed

Dec 10, 2008
Hello drivers,
I have been driving truck for going on 10 years and I must say im proud to drive a truck and take great pride in my work. The bulk of my experience has been in the oilfield hauling Frac sand and water. A majority of this type of work is on the highway going from town to the field and then the rest of it is off road where as you know chains are required in bad weather and we throw alot of iron! lol
So my dilemma is that I have recently decided to try working on a Drilling rig and have decided that I either wont stay on the rig because I dont like the work or my rig will get stacked out because of new government policies on drilling.
So my questions are when I go back to driving truck I will look into OTR driving if I cant find another job driving in the oilfield.

1. What types companies pay the best? Walmart? who? for a man with a family

2. Flat bed or box trailer or hauling fuels and things like that?

3. As a driver breaking out into OTR what kinds of things should I look for and avoid while looking for a job?

4. What would you say the median wage is for OTR drivers per payhalf?

5. Would you say 10 years driving in the worst weather possible on and off road would be good enough to land a job OTR as things are right now with the economy?

Thanks drivers and be safe out there!
B.

most co. only need 3to 6 months of exp, but you ned to look for a co that has befits that dint cost an arm and a leg to have and look at the Equipment they have and well is is taken care of and talk to some of there drivers and hear what they have to say about there own co. the pay you can start out at .32 per mile up to .40 per mile and hope that you can get some good mile. as a co driver.

Hi, I am not a truck driver, my husband is, so here goes.
1) Walmart - No
2) Box truck ( daily routes, usually pay very well, for the right companies).
3.) OTR isn't paying very well right now.
4.) Varies dramatically from state to state, and experience. Sorry can't help there Don't know where you are.( Here about 60,000)
5.) You should have no trouble finding a job.
Good luck.

Back