Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Could you kill a dog?

A few years ago my dad killed a dog with a shovel. He was up a ladder fitting an alarm on the house and heard screaming. As he ran to investigate he saw our next door neighbours child (who was around 5 years old at the time) on the floor with a rottweiler holding him by the shoulder with it's teeth, as my dad approached, it wouldn't let go and growled at my dad. My dad said the dog had already drawn blood Jo (not his real name) was already losing consciousness. To cut a long story short, my dad whacked the animal over the head with a shovel to knock it out (but actually killed it). Over the following months he was in the paper as a hero and all that stuff but the owners of the rotty tried to sue (and lost due to the injury's the child sustained). He is fine now by the way, just scared on his shoulder and hand.

Could you do this do you think? I am a huge animal lover, I even love aggressive dogs as half of the time they are mis-understood and need proper training and care. However, I think I could do this if I saw someone in danger.

What do you think? At the time this happened with my dad (I would have been around 9 years old, I was mortified that my dad had killed a dog) - now I understand.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks x

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the same circumstances yes I more than likely would. Adrenalin kicks in and you just go with yourinstinctss. You dad did right. Yes I agree with your philosophy about some dogs being mis understood and bad owners. And yet I had a dog, I got her as an 8 week old pup. She was a staffy cross doberman and a really good house dog. When she got to about 4 she just started to bite people. I never hit her or beat her with anything and she was trained in all the basic commands. Anyway after she bit her 5th person we had her put down. It is not always the owners fault, we did nothing wrong, she was loved and doted on but in the end we had no choice but to have her destroyed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If there was a good enough reason like that one you have described then possibly. But i am still not so sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I supposed to protect a life, I would do what I had to. However, with the experience I have now, I might attempt to get the dog away from the child. Unfortunately, even if you offered to rehab the dog, most cities or counties would not allow you to and would require the dog be euthanized. Most dogs deemed vicious are not even given a chance, especially if they've attacked a child. Why a child would be left unattended with any dog is beyond me! Your dad did what he had to do, and I'm sure many of us would have done the same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    your dad should also start killing Murderers and Paedaphiles,

i'll hail him as a HERO too!

P.s. i'll lend him a gun to do the job properly too

Downloads
    Uploads
    your dad should also start killing Murderers and Paedaphiles,

i'll hail him as a HERO too!

P.s. i'll lend him a gun to do the job properly too

Downloads
    Uploads
    I couldnt kill a dog unless i was in the same situation as your dad! I think in every respect he did the right thing , im assuming he did not intend to kill the dog , yet just reacted to get the dog off the child.

I can see how you were mortified , but im sure if the dog had survived and the child had been killed the story may have been alot different causing alot of problems as your dad may have blamed himself for not reacting good enough.

The child could have died instead of the dog , then who would be sueing? and perhaps inprisoned

I think if something like that occurs , then you should attack the attacker with neccessary force to defuse the situation.

I think if your dad hadnt killed the dog , then it would have been put down anyways.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your dad hadn't whacked it, it would have been put to sleep anyway

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow...I remember this story.
    I don't think I could do it ( kill a dog )
    Your Dad's a hero though I think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it was my kid that dog would've died too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast