Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

how long should i warm up my 1992 cadillac brougham in winter time?

its winter here in chicago we just got our first snow day! i have a 1992 cadillac brougham 350 5.7l v8 fuel injected and temps are in the high 20s but they feel alot colder.should i let it warm up for 15min or 10 u think? i mean its a huge engine so i figured it needed some time to warm up and go.also should i use 10w-30 or 5w-30?

Downloads
    Uploads
    many professionals would argue that the effects of warming the engine cause just as much wear on the engine as getting in it and going. I would recommend that that you warm i for no more than five minutes unless it is unbearably cold. also due to the colder temperatures Chicago experiences in winter I would recommend 5w-30 because that will allow for more oil flow at lower temperature. Make sure to switch back before summer though. My mom drives a new 08 escape that uses 5w-20 all year so you should be fine to use the 5w-30 up until late spring or temps go about 75. hope I could be of some help Happy Holidays!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are warming the engine to make the oil circulate in the engine blocks.Five or ten minutes is fine and when you start driving the car,the engine will continue warming it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I'd just like to say that you have one of the most underrated american cars ever made. congrats.

Downloads
    Uploads
    id allow at least 3-5 minutes before i took off in it,this way all the liquids and oil gets a good chance to warm up and start circulating real good,and its a lot easier on an automatic transmission to let it warm up rather than to jump in it cold and take off,it will eventually cause damage to one,also you don't get in to a cold vehicle by letting it warm up you also get the heater going good,good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A well running and tuned car should not really need to run very long at all. Just a minute or two in very cold temperatures to get the oil running, but engines don't take long to warm up. If it is extreme, then maybe a couple extra so the oil isn't thick, but it shouldn't need 15 minutes. Not only is it bad for the environment, but makes you an easy target for car thieves (Unless you are going to sit there in it while you are warming it up...)

I just wait long enough to get the defrost going so I can see, then let the car interior heat up as I drive.