SLOW internet connection even with "excellent" signal strength?

jesser1

Oct 29, 2008
I'll start by saying that the problem is w/a laptop that runs on windows vista. But I've had this computer and been on this wireless connection for almost a year and had NO problems until out of nowhere these past couple of weeks. The problem is that even though my connection strength reads "excellent" my internet is going as slow as dial-up, actually it goes slower than that...

There's only 1 other computer that uses the wireless router and it has
had no problems with the internet connection. I've oddly found that my
internet actually runs FASTER when the other computer on the connection is on and using the internet... when that computer is offline or turned off I've found that it basically brings my internet to a stand still again...

Another odd thing is that I've brought my laptop over to a friends apartment to use her wireless connection and it works just fine.. even
though at her place my strength is only listed as "very good"

I've tried resettting the wireless connection, unplugging it and disconnecting it and starting over all together, but that didn't help and it leads me to believe it might not be the wireless router because the other computer in the house runs perfectly on it and we're about the same distance away from the router. But at the same time, I'm confused at how it could be a problem with my computer because my
wireless connection works fine in a lot of other places.

any ideas, suggestions, etc on what the problem might be and how to go about fixing it? it's nearly impossible to use my computer for the internet right now because even after 15-20 minutes of waiting, most pages will simply refuse to load up...

Back