Should I use the S-Video input on HDTV for my Satellite Box or DVD player?

cinemave

Nov 21, 2008
I have a standard DVD player that has S-video output, and a satellite box (Directv) that also has an s-video output. Which one will give me the most benefit to connect to my HDTV, picture-wise? I’ll use standard RCA cables for the one that isn’t picked (or coax for satellite box?). I will not be able to buy a Blu-ray player for quite a while after buying the new TV or a new HDTV satellite set-up. Thanks.

S-Video is very good quality but it's not up to HD standard. It is better than Composite Video or rf.

It looks as if you have a standard Composite output from your cable box. (single yellow coloured RCA/phono socket). If you use this then it will be better quality than using the rf output (co-ax) of the cable box into your tv.

I suggest that you use the S-Video to connect your DVD player because that is more likely to give you a better source than a cable box. The bandwidth of a DVD will be more than you get down cable so the S-Video will be better able to take advantage of it.

Don't forget to connect your audio leads.

When you get your BD player you can use the HDMI connector and have the full-fat-glory of proper HD. The HDMI cable carries sound too.

Back