I'm having problems with the sound on my computer - can anyone help?

AmyE1

May 23, 2008
I just got a "new" monitor, (Samsung Syncmaster 171T, manufactured March 2003) and it has built-in speakers. Problem is, my computer is not recognizing them. Windows media player gives me this error message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

I know my computer has a sound card, and I know that the sound otherwise works, so obviously its a problem with the computer recognizing that monitor has the built in speakers. How do I fix this??

When you buy built in speakers like that it most likely comes with a disc so you can install certain software. Maybe check the box again and try and install the right drives for them to work.

If your monitor came with any drivers, you may need to install them first.

Also, check that you have the audio cable plugged into the correct socket on your monitor and your desktop

If you still cannot find out, check your manufacturers website

Good Luck

When it says 'there is a problem with your sound device' it isn't talking about your speakers.

Most sound cards don't know whether there are speakers plugged in or not (although my laptop does - it will ask if I plugged in speakers/headphones/etc.).

Try going into 'start', 'control panel', and pick 'sounds and audio'. Pick the 'hardware' tab, and see if it is recognizing the sound card. If not, you might have to try re-installing the drivers - or, you may have accidentally jiggled the sound card loose when you were unplugging the old speakers and plugging the new ones in.

If it is a laptop, you may be s.o.l., but if it is a desktop machine, you might be able to open it up, and reseat the sound card.

If it still won't work it might be fried.

You have a problem with the Sound Card Device installed on your computer, either the drivers for it are not corrupt or not loaded or it is conflicting for IRQ with another device.
Do this> Right Click My Computer>Choose Properties> Click on Hardware Tab> Open Device Manager> Inthere you will see that there will be a device that has got a Yellow coloured Question mark sign next to it, go to the properties for that device and reload the drivers for it, If you are not sure what is the manufacturer for your sound card, install a program called Driver Detective. You can google it or use the following link .

http://www.download.com/Driver-Detective/3000-18513_4-10175742.html?cdlPid=10694736

This should be a trial version but wull tell you what sound card you have. If you have a branded PC then you can go to your computer manufaturer's website and download sound card drivers

Hope this helps

When you buy built in speakers like that it most likely comes with a disc so you can install certain software. Maybe check the box again and try and install the right drives for them to work.
how can i install the sound back?

Back