Are gays helping or hurting their cause?

shawnLacey

Oct 28, 2008
With so much demonstrating and angry outbursts of retaliation, few folk are becoming sympathetic toward the gays. When the illegals took to the streets with clinched fist and flags from other nations, it did not help their plight. Gays want the world to be sympathetic to their plight while all the time overlooking what they are doing to those who are often caught in the middle. There are or were millions who couldn't care less about the "gay marriage" thing. Now, they are against it. The way to communicate is not screaming and acting foolishly. There are always a few radicals who make everyone else look bad. It is almost 2009; we can talk peacefully about our opposing views. Screaming, shouting, and acting out are outdated and counter-productive. Yes, it worked for the Civil Rights movement, but today is a new day. Let's talk, but I refuse to listen if you insist on yelling at me while demonstrating.

Agreed.
But gays can't seem to understand that. They keep refering to Martin Luther but the thing is....He practiced passive resistance, not rally up angry mob fest

Ok, I TOTALLY see your point.

But, look at this one. We have no problem having a civilized conversation, ok? We are the master of such things. However, when in the midst of conversation, we are called: child molesters, monsters, rapists, sinners, deviants, abnormal, etc....it's a bit hard to remain calm.

Then, they push a religion on us. One, that we may not choose to follow. And, we talk and talk and attempt to explain our case, but the reality is that those that oppose us - do not want to hear a word we say. They don't care.

So - with all of this going against us - why do you think some choose to scream and shout?

You aren't seeing all sides of this issue. It's a whole different world on our side of the fence - and people that once supported us are betraying us for the same reasons. In reality - it's your (our ex-supporters) ignorance that is leading to our destruction.

Eeek faggeto!
Que voy a hacer ,
Je ne sais pas
Que voy a hacer
Je ne sais plus
Que voy a hacer
Je suis perdu
Que horas son.

Ok, I TOTALLY see your point.

But, look at this one. We have no problem having a civilized conversation, ok? We are the master of such things. However, when in the midst of conversation, we are called: child molesters, monsters, rapists, sinners, deviants, abnormal, etc....it's a bit hard to remain calm.

Then, they push a religion on us. One, that we may not choose to follow. And, we talk and talk and attempt to explain our case, but the reality is that those that oppose us - do not want to hear a word we say. They don't care.

So - with all of this going against us - why do you think some choose to scream and shout?

You aren't seeing all sides of this issue. It's a whole different world on our side of the fence - and people that once supported us are betraying us for the same reasons. In reality - it's your (our ex-supporters) ignorance that is leading to our destruction.

We have been talking for years and years, and what we have gotten is Prop 8. The time for talking is past, unfortunately, because it has not been effective. A new approach is needed, and protesting is the way to do it, I believe.

I understand that you don't disagree, but letting our voice be silenced by simple talking and discussion got us Prop 8 in California in which downright lies were being shouted by the proponents.

ever hear of martin luther? rosa parks? female protesters in the 50's and 60's?
did they hurt their causes? no, they made history.

you are naive.

It seems as thought the straight oppositions way of coming to the table to "talk" is by proposing and passing anti gay laws.

How long are we supposed to ask nicely and wait for our rights to be restored?

L

With all due respect, folks sitting on their hands and hoping things will get better hasn't worked so well. If a person is passionate about equality it's kind of hard for me to "refuse to listen". If a person isn't passionate about equality it's kind of hard for me to understand.

If those who voted YES could get their heads out of their butts and their fingers out of their ears for just five measley minutes, a "meaningful dialogue" WOULD be possible. But how do you expect that to happen if you're going to pull out the Bible and start reading from Leviticus because you can't deal with someone whose way of life doesn't mirror yours exactly?

If you could just grow up, even temporarily and deal with the issue logically instead of emotionally, it wouldn't be the mess it is now. But don't think for a second that closing yourself off from opposing viewpoints will achieve anything any more than the "screaming" you refer to will.

And for the record, I think the whole Prop 8 thing has less to do with denying gay rights and more to do with being a "consolation prize" for the Right. The GOP did everything in their impotent power - including playing the fear card, the race card and the 'inexperience' card - to see to it that Senator Barack 'HUSSEIN' Obama would never become our 44th President. And they blew it.

So you had to win SOMETHING. And you picked Proposition 8 as the battle you thought you could win. You did, and now you're gloating. But here's the thing: A BLACK MAN IS STILL PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, AND WILL BE FOR FOUR YEARS AFTER BUSH SLINKS OUT OF 1600 PENN. AVE.

Want people to stop screaming? Stop pouting and sulking in your corner and grow up.

Since when was demonstrating an issue? Buddy, let me tell you if someone took something you took for granted away from you you'd put on your angry pants and get on the street too. Don't presume to preach to people that are peacefully demonstrating to let their displeasure be known. This is America, Jack.

We are communicating through many different forms of media and many legal avenues. YOU ARENT LISTENING ANYWAY, otherwise you would already have heard the message. All we can do to you is sigh and give you up as a lost cause.

Part of the problem is confusion of what the issue really is.

It's not about equality, they have that.
It's not about civil rights, the two don't compare.

Perhaps that's why they are so frustrated and act so silly.

That's the problem. Proponents of Proposition 8 got their way (for the time being), and just expected us to go back into our closets because of it. It's not going to happen... and peaceful talks and protests accomplish nothing.

Gotta be in their faces. If there's one thing politicians respond to, it's pressure. I only wish more GLBTs would come out kicking and screaming.

?

Most of the demonstrations have been peaceful.
I went to the one last Saturday in DC. There wasn't a single person who was arrested. People weren't screaming or yelling.

However, the right wing media out there is always looking for a few "radical homosexual activists" to plaster on the front page of their news publications. ugh. It gets old.

Back