why do average people buy blackberries, expensive cars, clothes, and live above

L

Luke

their means? Mostly everyone out there doesn't need all the things that they have. They live in extreme excess (and in debt). Why do average teens have blackberries, all these designer clothes, cars, and lead lifestyles which are really fake and what not, when they really don't need any of it, and later complain that they don't have enough money?

I mean, do we all honestly believe that we NEED the biggest and the latest everything?

Don't we realize that we could get diagnosed with something tomorrow, and die, and we won't even be conscious anymore of all the things we have accumulated in this life?

All the effort, credit cards, ways we made money, jobs, stress, etc, will be forgotten and for nothing.

So why do we still do it?

Are we that stupid?

Also, we're in economically rough times, yet people continue to live like they're the Rockerfellers, they just charge it all up on plastic.

For us, Americans, I guess success is beauty, designer clothes, nice cars, and fancy toys.
Also look at 90% of the avatars especially for girls on here. They're all trying to be someone they're not, with fake hair, fake faces, or they pic avatars that look smart, sophisticated, and they all try to live up to some sort of a phony image.

The guys either try looking like superstuds, or like they're the next Dr.Phil.

Do we really live in a culture of illusion and BS?

I think so, even right down to the average person, answering on yahoo answers out of all places. It's just stupid.

We all think that we have to strive for perfection, whatever that may be, but I think it's dumb.

Ever go to a high school function or a prom?

I speak no further.
Yeah but if ALL people do is "keep up with the Joneses," then what are they doing to contribute to solving world problems? Nada, zilch. How can anyone respect people like that?

It's gross.

yes people are thet stupid.

i learned a long time ago if you use cash your better off.

I plan to buy a new car, i don't have any debt so i will save $1000 a month for a couple years an pay cash. How many can do that....because they are in debt.

Credit makes you poor

cause they think they are able to afford it and they not

Best bet... Go & spend the rest of your days on an Island. Alone.

Or... deal with the fact that life is full of these fake people, acquiring unnecessary items, making out they have more money than they do, pretending to be something or someone they clearly are not.

For fake people... being 'Fake' is their 'Real'.

Just be content with the fact that your not like that. You can split from the crowd/rat-race/sheep of society and look at life in a different aspect.

Without being too 'alternative' and cutting yourself off completely from the 'Joneses', you are not alone.

Conforming is way of life to many. That's how societies are. I'm not American, I'm English, but the same applies here as it does in the rest of the world. If your seen as different, you'll be isolated.

I'd like to see how the majority of the people you talk about could cope without these 'false gods' or 'Steroids' as Thomas L. Friedman stated in his 2006 book 'The World is Flat'.

There are those that acquire what you mention, purely because it's there, its available & it makes them feel good without the thought of what others think.

Like I stated in the beginning... If it bugs you so much... either deal with it... or live on an Island.

(But then the monkeys, birds, heat, lack of nutrition, ever decreasing supply of water and your ant-filled-mosquito-invested accommodation might bug you and as there's no internet access you won't be able to make your point through Yahoo! Answers. You might have to get on a commercial boat, pay with money financed by the Rothechild's and Rockerfeller's to board an over-crowded plane, drink a capitalist cocoa-cola and eat a non 'Fair Trade' labeled dinner to get back to your Imperialist society. Not forgetting to call your mommy on your blackberry to pick you up in her SUV from the airport.

I Like your question & I enjoyed answering it.

:)

If most countries are heavily in debt - who do they owe?

It was all started with a drive (by governments) to increase consumerism. This was seen as a good way to increase spending and therefore tax revenue. The more people spend, the more tax is collected.
......... Untill we reach a stage where the government needs the money, and we don't have any.

Well, right now honey it's the materialistic society! People go in debt & do all sorts of things to look good on the outside, when they actually don't have a penny left in them..

my avatar doesnt look like i have a PhD. it looks childish. the reason people spend so much is because it's fun. it's not healthy, but what can you do? you cant stop them. i like having the latest. i dont have everything like you said, but then again not everyone has everything. and so what if people have blackberries? maybe they just like the phone. it's not all about hype, it has some pretty cool features. i dont have it though. live and let live.

Some people are just materialistic for the good stuff.

Some people like to keep up appearance.

Some people can actually afford the BEST out there.

Oh and yes, I am american and I say success is happiness, and nice cars and fancy toys will indeed make any sane person, including myself, happy.

Not all of the people live a life beyond their means and they too measure the steps and plan for progress coupled with stability and security!

For those who buy out heavily on credit and live indebted to banks forever, life is unstable and they just want to enjoy things faster to end their life also fast!

Back