1999 Chevy Malibu keeps over heating?

caneguy17

Oct 31, 2008
I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu that keeps over heating. At first i thought it might have been the water pump or the thermostat so i replaced them both and it still over heats. The fan kicks in at about 20 degrees before over heating so the fan works fine. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what the problem may consist of and what path i should take to get it taken care of
also i noticed that the temp gauge does not rise at all but when i get out i can hear the water boiling up underneath the hood. and all of the water comes out of the hoses connected to the water res and all the anti freeze comes out as well

there is a special procedure to remove the air from the system , only a trained professional should do this a s the coolant can cause severe burns because it is oil based

it could be that it is not overheating at all... it might be a bad Temperature sensor, or guage.

Edit: also, just because you replaced the thermostat doesn't mean that is not the problem. you could have replaced it with the wrong replacement part, put it in wrong, or just got a bad part (even though it was new)..)

Edit 2: sounds like your thermostat or waterpump was installed incorrectly.

Back