how long does a real estate agent have a "claim" on a sale?

NJ

Jun 21, 2008
if an agent takes the property off their books because either the agreement has run out, or they believe the sellers don't really want to sell etc. how long can they insist a potential buyer is "theirs" and therefore entitled to a commission. I am interested in a property like this and would like to approach the owner directly, but don't want the agent to get involved because the service to both the seller and me (the prospective buyer) was just appalling. i believe the owner still wants to sell, but not now thru an agent because of the rubbish treatment they got. i did see the property via the agents website so do they have a "claim" if i deceide to buy?

It depends on the listing agreement signed by the sellers as to when it expires. Typically the agents do not have claim to a "buyer". Just b/c you looked at the property with an agent does not mean you are obligated to use that agent, unless you signed a Buyers Agent Agreement, which is rare, but if you did you would have to wait for that to expire. But if there will not be any agents or commissions involved, after any agreements expire, you should negotiate the price down.

Back