1995 Jeep Cherokee Making Sounds Around Pulley / Fan Belt Area.?

ChumpChange

Oct 10, 2008
I know that's not really a question but I need some answers. I have been away for three weeks and my car has not been started until today (I just got back). When I started it, it immediately started squeaking I immediately thought it was the fan belt but it was really loud, then I started smelling some burning, and possibly felt, imagined grinding. I just drove it up and down the drive way and it didn't stop. Apparently it has been rainy and muggy all week and I am wondering if part of the problem could be that moisture on the pulleys and belt is making it slip, which is in turn causing it to squeak and slip, which in turn is making a lot of heat / friction which might be causing the smoke. It seems to be happening around the upper left pulley (I don't know what that pulley controls). Other than that I have no idea, I don't see how bearings could slip or how a pulley can go bad in a three week period when I haven't even driven the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you pour water onto the pulley while it is going, and the noise stops it is the belt slipping. If the water makes no difference its not the belt. The water simply cuts down the friction for a short period of time, or course as it dries out the noise will return.
hopefully its a cheap fix, good luck!

Back