Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going vegetarian, what do I eat to stay healthy?

I've decided I want to go full vegetarian since every time I go to eat meat I gag or think about the innocent animals. what should I eat to stay healthy?

thank you and 10 points goes to best
    it's not just about the animals, I think cutting out meats would be healthier when doing it the RIGHT way.
    and I am active, I go to the gym for 45 minutes-1 hour a day.

thanks to all the people supporting me

Downloads
    Uploads
    you need to eat lots of protein, like cheese, beans etc. tofu doesn't taste like anything so you can look up recipes with tofu online and make it into something delicious. it's really not that difficult. it's not so different than regular eating, just subtract the meat and add extra protein. good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    nuts and beans are good for protien. or you can get tofu and stuff. "Boca" and "Morning Star Farms" have a lot of good fake meat foods. Also, you can take vegetarian vitamins that have high protien in them, which you can get at a pharmacy or something. the next time you see a doctor though, you should talk to them about it and ask them what they suggest..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations on your choice. But may I remind you that humans are meant to eat meat, hence the canines.

With that said, I was a vegetarian during my college years. Not because of animal rights, but because I thought it would be a healthier diet without all the fat, etc.

It is super important to eat ALOT of vegetables and even more BEANS. You need protien, and the main reason I started eating meat again was because I was so enemic from not getting iron from it. So you will need to eat a lot of high iron vegetables such as brocolli and bock choy. Don't get into eating a lot of chips and other junk food just because it's meatless because you'll end up in worse health than before.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Salad.

I've been a vegetarian for 3 years. And I also gag when I sniff meat or it gets close to my mouth.

-----EDIT:

Bailly? GOD did not give us animals to eat and that is not what they're there for. God put animals on this earth and then he put us here to care for THEM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plenty of green vegetables, to keep your iron up.
    And legumes, to also maintain good iron levels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.vegsoc.org/info/goingveg.html
    this gives you a good idea of what you'll need to do.
    good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    ive been veg for 7 years i take a lot of vitamin supplements in pill form and liquid and soy will be your best friend and you'll find creative things to do with vegetables its hard lifestyle to maintain good luck

Downloads
    Uploads
    u could eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. u could eat meat now and then as it contains a lot of proteins. if u never want to touch meat u could eat nut or peanuts to balance ur protein intake. 87percent of people who have crossed 100years are vegetarians, so u have made the right decision.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are nutrients that may be deficient in a vegetarian diet and how you can get these nutrients from nonmeat sources:

* Protein. Your body needs protein to maintain healthy skin, bones, muscles and organs. Vegetarians who eat eggs or dairy products have convenient sources of protein. Other sources of protein include soy products, meat substitutes, legumes, lentils, nuts, seeds and whole grains.
    * Calcium. This mineral helps build and maintain strong teeth and bones. Low-fat dairy foods and dark green vegetables, such as spinach, turnip and collard greens, kale, and broccoli, are good sources of calcium. Tofu enriched with calcium and fortified soy milk and fruit juices are other options.
    * Vitamin B-12. Your body needs vitamin B-12 to produce red blood cells and prevent anemia. This vitamin is found almost exclusively in animal products, including milk, eggs and cheese. Vegans can get vitamin B-12 from some enriched cereals, fortified soy products or by taking a supplement that contains this vitamin.
    * Iron. Like vitamin B-12, iron is a crucial component of red blood cells. Dried beans and peas, lentils, enriched cereals, whole-grain products, dark leafy green vegetables, and dried fruit are good sources of iron. To help your body absorb nonanimal sources of iron, eat foods rich in vitamin C — such as strawberries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli — at the same time you consume iron-containing foods.
    * Zinc. This mineral is an essential component of many enzymes and plays a role in cell division and in the formation of proteins. Good sources of zinc include whole grains, soy products, nuts and wheat germ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast