Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the limit as x approaches negative infinity of x + sqrt(x^2 + 2x)?

I'm having a major problem with this one calculus problem. I multiplied by the conjugate and ended up with something that seemed workable, but then when I multiplied through by the reciprocal of the highest power of x in the denominator, the answer was 2/0. What do I do with that? Detailed explanation please . . . I have a quiz coming up soon and this one is stumping me.
    My calculator is showing the graph tends towards -1. To get the answer via the methods we were taught in class, I multiplied the function by conjugate/conjugate (in this case, x - sqrt[x^2 + 2x] OVER x - sqrt[x^2 + 2x]), leaving me with -2x OVER (x - sqrt[x^2 + 2x])

I then multiplied this fraction by 1/x OVER 1/x (the highest power of x in the denominator), allowed all newly created fractions with x in the denominator to turn into zero, and was left with -2/(1-sqrt[1]) which is -2/0. I don't know what to do with this.

Anyone following my confusion here??
    In response to Yaroslav . . . I'm not understanding what you mean by "substitute a negative x for positive x." Can you show me a step-by-step explanation???

Downloads
    Uploads
    sfgrc and swimeasy are wrong - you have no right to either subtract negative infinities or take the square root of them. I'm sorry, I checked on the calculator, it is negative one.
    You shouldn't have gotten -2/0 - you should've substituted -x, not positive x, since we are going to negative infinity. So you'll get 2/-2, which equals to negative one. It took me a while to figure this out

Downloads
    Uploads
    its -1.

kristabbbb

Flower Blue calculus

Quote Originally Posted by Yaroslav Y View Post
    sfgrc and swimeasy are wrong - you have no right to either subtract negative infinities or take the square root of them. I'm sorry, I checked on the calculator, it is negative one.
    You shouldn't have gotten -2/0 - you should've substituted -x, not positive x, since we are going to negative infinity. So you'll get 2/-2, which equals to negative one. It took me a while to figure this out
    hey can you help me with my math homework? im in calculus and i don't know how to solve:

find the value of the limit:

lim x approaches positive 0 while the equation is e^x squared - minus one, all divided by x

Unregistered
    hahahahaha i love captchas

Unregistered
    i am having a calculus midterm later, i am reviewing now, it comes out that i am having trouble with the squeeze theorem particularly this following exo : b) limx→∞

x sin
    x
    . (Hint: let y =
    x
    , and it becomes a one-sided
    limit.)

can someone please help me with this????????
    i would be most grateful ))))