Will riding a bike build up my calfs and thighs?

Smr

Sep 8, 2008
i was thinking of starting to ride a bike to work. Will this help develop my very small calf muscles and thighs
How far should I ride each day to get an amazing leg workout?

It won't happen overnight, but cycling will result in better muscle tone and definition for your calves and thighs. You will also like what it does for your butt. Go to a cycling event, like the start of a sponsored ride, and look at most of the women there to see for yourself.

HTH

Yes it will. It will also increase your flexibility and improve the circulation in your legs. Your whole body will benefit really.

But - be careful starting out, OK? There are two types of riding styles... a lot of people think they are adding to their workout by staying in high gear and just pushing hard on the pedals. Actually this is a great way to injure yourself.

Much better for you I think would be a "spinning" technique. What you do is shift up to speed and then drop down one gear so you can pedal easily - and a bit faster than you normally would. Try and keep your revolutions per minute at a good clip - you'll get a great aerobic workout which will burn calories and help you become lean and strong!

Powering up a hill or grinding at high speed is also beneficial but more anaerobic - so you will build some mass... but just be careful. Mix it up with the grind and spinning - do some interval stuff... can't help but stop and go on the way to work.

There are a lot of good books at the library, and maybe some online stuff you can check out. Look under "cycling" or "performance cycling". Eric Haar (pro cyclist) has a great book for beginners.

See you in the bike lane!

Yes on both. Also keeps you from gaining unwanted pounds, will keep your health up, and allot other benefits too.
I been riding for 37 years.

Yes on both. Also keeps you from gaining unwanted pounds, will keep your health up, and allot other benefits too.
I been riding for 37 years.

If you want to build up your calf and thigh muscles then forget 'Spinning' - 'cos it won't help!

Body builders don't lift teeny weights as fast as they can! - They train with heavy weights. The same principle applies to cycling.

The way to build muscle bulk is cycling short distances in a high gear preferably uphill.

If you just want a work out, then casual cycling for an hour or so, a couple of times a week should do the trick. Easy innit?

Back