Is it possible to maintain overall body weight while losing weight from the tummy?

AndrewR

May 16, 2008
I am a man who is 5' 6'' and I used to weigh 70 kilos. I have and do gain fairly good muscular development all over except that my tummy protrudes. I have checked that my exercise program is okay. I did some further research and found out the best way to tone abs is through a three pronged attack of

1) working the muscle directly,
2) cardiovascular activity
3) and eating right.

I also read that it was not possible to lose weight from one part of the body in isolation but that weight loss had to occur overall. So I implemented the three pronged attack above as well as eating less and lost 5 kilos and am now down to 65 kilos. According to the ideal weight to height ratio chart this is just about ideal for me.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/news_features/idealweight_m.htm

I lost some stomach size as a consequence but I really really really still HATE seeing the reduced protrusion of tummy that still persists! This in spite of my continuous working out. I do not want to lose anymore weight overall and my exercise aim is to have good definition and body figure not so much bigness but still good muscle tone. I also want my chest to protrude more than my tummy and I want to lose the bulge in my tummy even if I don't have six packs abs - but I am sure I would because when I stretch in certain postures like when I lean back I can see a lot of abdominal muscles but when I stand relaxed my stomach protrudes. If I carry on exercising will the fat go away from my stomach without me needing to lose more overall body weight? What should I do? Please let me know what my next phase of attack should be.

Back